Friday, July 24, 2015

Whole 30: Day 5

 


Debra McVay's photo.

     I woke up feeling so amazingly awake, even though I had to get up 30 minutes earlier than usual, and I went to work without the usual brain fog I have in the mornings, but not before having pizza egg cups made with leftover salami, olives, and mushrooms from pizza the night before. We even topped it with some leftover pizza sauce.

     Ray is reporting more reliable energy levels through the day, even though he forgot to take his insulin before he ate twice yesterday. He tends to do this any time we make a major change. It throws him off his schedule, and he forgets to take his medication on time.

Debra McVay's photo.     While at work, one of our pharmacists came in carrying a small, cardboard box and set it down and opened it, and the nauseating smell of baked goods filled the pharmacy. I promise you that I did NOT eat any of these. I wish I could convey how large these cookies were, and some of my co-workers ate three. I told them I was going to take a picture, and they asked if it was to make someone jealous. I told them it was for my blog, and they said, "You're going to tell on us!?" Yes, I'm telling. :)

Debra McVay's photo.     Lunch has to be my favorite time of day while at work. I get to sit, relax, eat my delicious home-packed lunch, and then I usually take a nap. Today was made even better by the fact that it rained while I was taking a nap and stopped before I had to go back inside. Ray made me a delicious cobb salad. It's so easy to make a travel salad, just layer all your ingredients and pack some dressing.

      Once home, I was greeted by some delicious smells. You may find the idea of eating beef tongue disturbing or disgusting (so did I), but it really is delicious, like a pot roast. Ray cooked it in the pressure cooker. The most important thing to know about tongue is that you have to cut the skin off after you cook it, but after that, you can pull it apart like a good roast, and you'll forget what you're eating once you try it. This was the first beef I've been able to eat in at least 10 years, and I seem to be handling it okay.

     We served the tongue (which has a lot of bioavailable calcium) with broccoli slaw and plantain crackers. These are mashed plantains baked with your choice of herbs. They are not really crisp, or at least ours weren't, but they are really good. Tomorrow, I'll be working on the menu for the next ten days and taking the kids to a special event, so goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment