Sunday, December 21, 2014

Getting Ready for Christmas: Part 3



     I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this, but this is our first Paleo Christmas. Last year's Christmas, while fun and special, was excruciating because the food made me so sick, and I love to eat.

     Christmas breakfast has to be one of the most wonderful meals of the year. Maybe it's just because I love Christmas so much, but there's something just special about the first meal you eat on Christmas. Last year, we had cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate. They were what I like to call "WHOMP" rolls, in the same category as "WHOMP" biscuits, named because of the sound made when you open the wrapper and the dough inside expands quickly. I really love cinnamon rolls, but I don't want to have them too often, so Christmas seems like the special occasion worthy of them, but this year, if we have them, we'll have to make them ourselves.

     I wanted to try out a recipe I got from Danielle Walker's Joyful. I just passed my Pharmacy Tech exam this past week, and I asked for them as a way to celebrate and experiment with the recipe, but the first night they were to be made, everyone forgot, and the second night, they couldn't remember which recipe I said, so they made cinnamon buns, instead. So we can either experiment on Christmas day, or we can go with something we know, and experimenting on Christmas morning doesn't appeal to me because if it isn't great, then I'll be sad. We could go with bacon waffles, but those are usually reserved for birthdays. We could go with Paleo biscuits and gravy, but Ray wants that for his birthday breakfast, and that's exactly two days after Christmas. We have a plethora of egg breakfasts, but we eat those every day, and Christmas breakfast should be a little more special.

     So it's time for a family discussion. I have a feeling my daughter Lydia will suggest banana bread with chocolate chips. It's pretty delicious with either almond butter or grass-fed butter and honey. Family discussion over, and I was wrong. Their suggestion was to experiment with the cinnamon rolls tomorrow, so I guess that's what we'll be doing. I'll post the results later.

No comments:

Post a Comment