Thursday, April 30, 2015

Z Is for Zuppa Toscana (Slow Cooker)


     I could have gone the easy route with anything zucchini related, but I love soups so much. I love filling my tummy with warm bone broth full of love, and this soup is no exception. It's a remake of a restaurant that shall not be named's classic, but instead of white potatoes, I went with my beloved sweet potatoes. I also made my own Italian sausage.

Ingredients:
Sausage:
2 Tbs. coconut oil or bacon grease
1 lb. ground pork
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. onion or garlic powder (optional)
Soup:
4-6 sweet potatoes, cut into bite-sized cubes
1 onion, minced
4-6 slices of bacon, cut into pieces
4 cups bone broth
1/2 bunch kale; de-stemmed ant torn into bite-sized pieces
1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
1 Tbs. tapioca flour
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. In a sauté pan, over medium heat, combine pork, basil, oregano, marjoram, and onion or garlic powder (if using). Heat until no longer pink.

2. Place pork, broth, sweet potato, and onion in slow cooker. Add enough water to cover vegetables and meat.

3. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or 4-5 hours on high until potatoes are soft.

4. Thirty minutes before serving, add flour to coconut milk, mixing well to remove lumps.

5. Add coconut milk and kale to slow cooker and stir.

6. Cook on high 30 minutes or until broth thickens slightly.

7. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment