Friday, April 3, 2015

C Is for Creamy "Cheesy" Cauliflower Grits


     I used to love Sunday mornings. I would wake up to music. My dad would either have out his record collection or he would have the radio on a station that played classic country music. I would lie in bed for a while listening to Gene Autry or Roy Rogers while the smells of breakfast wafted in. Sunday was music and fried bacon, buttery grits, and scrambled eggs. I would help set the table, then we would all sit down for a hot, Southern meal, and I would add a slice of American cheese to my grits. Later on, as the health fads of the '80's and '90's swept the nation, my mom stopped adding salt and butter to the grits, and they lost their appeal, seemingly never to return. My husband hated them, mostly in a long-held belief that all things Southern are gross to eat. Paleo wouldn't allow them because they are made from corn. Then a few months ago, I came upon Kelly Bejelly's Paleo Eats, and found her recipe for creamy grits, so I altered it, making it taste cheesy like my memories of the past. When I made this for my family, I was chastised for not making more. Even Ray said he was going to cry because it was so good. I share this with you with a wish for "Happy Trails."

P.S. I have since made this several times. It's become a family favorite. It's one of our favorite side dishes.

(Serves 4)
 
Ingredients:
1 small head of cauliflower, cored and broken into pieces
2-1/2 cups bone broth
1 Tbs. bacon fat
1 Tbs. tapioca flour
2 tsp. nutritional yeast flakes (this is where the cheesy flavor comes from)
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 cup almond meal
 
Directions;
1. Place cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until pieces are the size of rice. You will need 3-1/2 cups. The rest can be frozen for later use.
 
2. Combine the cauliflower and broth in a medium-sized sauce pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

3. Sprinkle tapioca flour over cauliflower and stir well.
 
4. Add yeast flakes, bacon fat, salt, and onion powder to pot, stirring until blended. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
 
5. Turn the temperature down to simmer, and add in the almond meal. Cook for another 5-15 minutes, or until the mixture is creamy.
 
6. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment