Wednesday, April 29, 2015
Y Is for Yakitori with Cauliflower Rice
Traditional yakitori is made with mirin, which is a sweet Japanese sake, but since rice and alcohol are on the limited list, I just cut them out. I didn't miss it. This dish was wonderful. We just all wished we'd had more of it.
3/4 cup coconut aminos
4 Tbs. coconut sugar
1 small onion or garlic clove, pressed (optional)
1 lb. boneless chicken thighs
8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
2 cups cauliflower, riced in food processor
1 cup bone broth
1. To prepare cauliflower rice, placed riced cauliflower and broth in a medium saucepan or rice cooker. If using a saucepan, bring to boil over medium-high heat and allow to cook for 12 minutes. If using a rice cooker, follow manufacturer's instructions.
1. Put coconut aminos, coconut sugar, and onion or garlic, if using, into a medium-sized sauce pan, and cook over medium heat until there is only half as much sauce remaining.
2. Let cool slightly while preparing chicken.
3. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
4. Thread chicken onto skewers.
5. Begin grilling the chicken skewers on both sides without the sauce, when the meat starts changing color, brush the sauce on both sides, and continue grilling, brushing on sauce about 3 times total, and turning until done.
6. Serve half a cup of cauliflower rice with two skewers. Enjoy!