Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Getting Ready for Valentine's Day

     I want to start with an apology. I haven't been able to do many posts over the past three weeks, but I have legitimate reasons. Three weeks ago was the beginning of an eleven-day stretch of work to make up for a fellow co-workers vacation. Halfway through the stretch, I got a cold, but I was keeping with it. Then on my first day off, it went into my chest, and I started having nosebleeds. I'm not talking about a little bit of blood. I'm talking 30 seconds to 2 minutes, going through several tissues. The last time I had these symptoms, I ended up with a blood infection as the sinus infection transferred through the thin sinus membranes that were already bleeding. I ended up at the doctor for the first time in over 14 years, and I ended up calling out of work two days in a row. The diagnosis: acute bronchitis and acute sinusitis. So I've been on antibiotics, steroids, and cough medicine. I'm just beginning to feel human again, but I must confess that I haven't put a lot of thought or effort into the blog.

     Last year, we had our first Paleo Valentine's Day, so instead of lots of candy, we had a bacon spinach salad with dark chocolate and saw The Lego Movie. It was awesome. The salad was really awesome. Our theme was "Do It for Your Heart." Then last night, Lydia suggested we check out The Book of Life for our Valentine family movie, and a theme was born, "Ama la Vida." I want my family to love life and live it to the fullest. We're going to make some Mexican chili chocolate coconut milk ice cream this week. And on Valentine's Day, we're going to try to make a Paleo-friendly version of my favorite Pot de Crème recipe, but with some Mexican spice to it, too. Mexican food can be hard to make Paleo since it relies so heavily on grain and legumes, but wraps can be made with large leaves of lettuce or crepes. Savory chili can be packed with protein and veggies while leaving out the beans and corn. And delicious guacamole and salsa can be made with fresh, whole ingredients.

     We will still give each other some dark chocolate, but Ray had the cool idea of drawing names and making a Paleo chocolate bar for the person whose name was drawn with a message as to why we love that person. We just intend to spend the entire day together, having a fun day full of hugs.

     The most important thing about Valentine's Day is about loving those who are special to you, and that includes yourself, so do something special and loving for yourself. Maybe now is the time to start eating Paleo, if you don't already. So live life. Love life. And know that I love you and am here with support and tips. Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment