Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Mind Blown: Preservatives Make It Hard to Break Down Food!

     Have you ever read, seen, or heard something so simple and yet so mind blowing that you simultaneously thought, "Why didn't I think of that?" and, "Oh Em GEE!"

     Yesterday, I woke up at 3:30 am. Why? I had a dream that made my heart physically start to race, adrenaline began to pump through my blood, and I was wide awake. There would be no going back to sleep, even though it was my day off. I lay there for a good 30 minutes, just to make sure before getting out of bed and firing up the computer to do some reading while the rest of the house slept.

Image result for healthy gut bacteria     That's when I stumbled upon the fact that our digestive system has a hard time breaking down preservatives because preservatives are designed to keep bacteria from breaking them down!

     "Oh Em GEE!" How did I never realize this? It seems so fundamental. "Why didn't I think of that?"

     This makes perfect sense. If something is designed to not break down, and then we eat it, we will have a hard time breaking it down. While stomach acid and chewing our food well will help in the process, the rest of our digestive system is run on the process of bacteria in the gut breaking down food for the micro-nutrients we need. If the food is treated to be hard to be broken down by bacteria, our bacteria doesn't have much of a fighting change.

MIND BLOWN!

No comments:

Post a Comment