Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Not Peanut Butter Cheese Crackers


     I grew up on packages of crackers. My dad would buy me a pack, along with a good deal of candy when I went with him to get his hair cut. I would get a couple of packs when I went fishing with my dad. My mom would give me money for the vending machine at the court house when I went with her to work, and I would get a pack and a soda. Sometimes I really crave those orange nightmarish treats. The taste of the fake cheese, the junk peanut butter, and the amazing amount of salt just screams to my soul, but they make my stomach scream back at me in misery. So I tried to remake it Paleo, and I think it's pretty dang good. You can decrease the salt, but these are a special, occasional treat. The best part is how quick and easy you can whip these up.

Ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. olive oil or coconut oil, melted
1/2 tsp. sea salt + for sprinkling
4 tsp. nutritional yeast flakes
1-2 Tbs. almond butter

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Lay out two sheets of parchment paper.

3. Combine all ingredients in small bowl. If too soft, add 1 Tbs. of almond flour at a time until firm dough that can hold its shape forms.

4. Form dough into ball and place on one sheet of parchment paper. Press dough with palm of hand to flatten. Cover with second sheet of parchment paper. Roll out thin with rolling pin. You want it to be cracker thin, so it will crisp better.

5. Carefully remove top layer of parchment from dough. Place parchment paper with dough on cookie sheet. Sprinkle top of crackers with salt. Cut dough into rows and columbs about 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" to 2" X 2".

6. Bake crackers for 7 minutes, the turn pan around and bake an additional 7 minutes. This should keep the crackers from cooking unevenly or burning on one side.

7. Allow crackers to cool before snapping apart and spreading with almond butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment