Monday, March 2, 2015

Paleo Lifestyle Tips: Find a Friend

     Completely changing your diet can be hard. Ray and I have tried several diets, and none of them have really worked because they were either crap, or he and I couldn't get on the same page. Then, last year, I told him that I couldn't continue to do what we were doing. I wasn't losing weight, and I felt bad all the time. Shortly after, we found Paleo, and we both loved it. The whole family loved it. The food was good, and we all started feeling better.

     I found my Paleo companion in Ray. We would talk endlessly about how much we loved the food and the way we felt and the improvements in health and behavior. We would go for walks, and the reduction of pain and inflammation would sustain and cheer us. Though the grain detox was rough, especially for Ray who had the flu-like symptoms that can accompany giving up grain, I knew that I would never go back. In fact, there have been a few times at work when people have brought in doughnuts, cookies, brownies, and scones, and I have not given in to temptation. I've even found the smell to be repulsive after about 30 minutes. There's even one woman who thinks she's being cute and tempting me. She looks directly at me while she shoves a wheat NOtreat into her mouth and says, "Mmmmmm!" Once she even put a bag of cookies right in front of me when I declined to eat them. I just placed them right back next to her.

     I don't know if I would have made it or been able to withstand that kind of temptation without that support, but I know there are a lot of people out there who's partner and/or family does not support them. This is where having a Paleo friend can come in handy. If your partner or family does not want to convert, find a friend who is also looking to change their diet and feel better. Barring that, go online and find support. There are so many blogs and bloggers who can boost your resolve.

     I count myself very lucky. Not only do I have a supportive husband who will help with the cooking of our delicious foods, but I have kids who love Paleo enough to read my cookbooks and ask to try new recipes. They've even invented a few recipes of their own. On top of that, my mom has gone Paleo, and I have this blog.

     Many diet books talk about finding someone to support you, and it really is important. So if you don't have a support system, and you want to talk about all things Paleo, join me here, and we can talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment